Pale Trapper Build
This build is good for new players that want to make a caster class. The Pale Trapper concentrates on negative energy spells to harm enemies and self-heal, as well as full trapping skills. Derived from user Ellisdee37 from the DDO Forums post, this build still does well today, 13 updates later. View the original build here.
- Style: Specialist
- Class: Wizard/ Rogue
- Race: Human
- Path: Custom
Abilities (28 point):
- Strength (STR): 10
- Dexterity (DEX): 8
- Constitution (CON): 16
- Intelligence (INT): 18
- Wisdom (WIS): 8
- Charisma (CHA): 8
Strength (STR): This helps you hit your target, as well as adds damage to any successful strike.
Dexterity (DEX): Dexterity helps you avoid damage, raises your reflex saving throw, and in some builds even determines how frequently you will succeed in your attacks.
Constitution (CON): This helps your health and overall survival by adding its bonus to your Hit Points (HP) at every level, as well as raises your saves related to fortitude, including saves versus death!
Intelligence (INT): Intelligence points on ANY build is a good idea. Why? Skill Points. For some spellcasters (arcane) INT is their main Ability.
Wisdom (WIS): Wisdom is relative to Will saves, and for some spellcasters (divine) it is their main ability.
Charisma (CHA): For most classes, CHA is somewhat useless. Some classes (Bard, Favored Soul), however, rely on it as their main Ability. Yet other classes (Cleric, Paladin) have class abilities that are tied to this stat.
Keep trapping skills maxed!
Concentration (2), Spellcraft (2), Disable (4), Search (4), Spot (4), Heal (2), Open Lock (4), Repair (4), Balance (4), Jump (4), Use Magical Device (UMD) (4), Swim (3), Perform (2), Tumble (1)
Feats: Most of your Feats are going to go towards your spellcasting ability, both to reduce cost as well as improve effectiveness.
- Insightful Reflexes, Toughness or Augment Summoning (Human)
- Maximize Spell (Wizard)
- Empower Spell
- Extend Spell, Heighten Spell (Wizard)
- Spell Focus: Enchantment
- Spell Penetration, Spell Focus: Necromancy
- Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
- Quicken Spell (Wizard)
- Greater Spell Penetration
- Epic Spell Penetration (Epic)
- Embolden Spell (Epic)
- Epic Spell Power: Negative (Destiny)
- Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy (Epic)
- Hellball (Destiny)
- Arcane Pulse (Destiny)
- Master of: The Dead (Epic), Scion of Shadowfell (Legend)
Spells you will want to be sure to have are as follows: Lesser Death Aura, Death Aura, Web, FireWall, Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee, Stoneskin, Charm Person, and some Crowd Control spells. See below for my personal choices:
Enhancements (80 AP Total):
Archmage ( AM 40 AP), Pale Master (PM 36 AP), Human (Hum 4 AP)
- (bank 4 AP)
- AM0 Chill Touch, AM1 Energy of the Scholar 1, AM1 Spell Critical, PM0 Dark Reaping, (bank 2 AP)
- AM2 Efficient Empower 1,2,3
- PM1 Deathless Vigor 1,2
- PM0 Zombie Form, AM0 Command Undead, PM1 Negative Energy Conduit 1,2
- PM1 Deathless Vigor 3, PM1 Spell Critical
- PM0 Vampire Form, AM0 Halt Undead, AM3 Intelligence
- PM3 Intelligence, (bank 2 AP)
- AM2 Efficient Maximize 1,2,3
- AM4 School Mastery: Necromancy, PM2 Spell Critical
- AM4 Intelligence, PM3 Spell Critical
- PM1 Negative Energy Conduit 3, PM4 Intelligence, Hum Skills Boost
- AM4 Efficient Heighten 1,2
- PM0 Wraith Form, AM0 Enervation, PM4 Spell Critical
- AM3 Spell Penetration 1,2
- AM2 Spell Critical, (bank 2 AP)
- PM2 Efficient Quicken 1,2,3
- PM5 Necromantic Focus, PM5 Improved Shrouding
- AM3 Spell Critical, AM4 Spell Critical
- PM0 Lich Form, Hum0 Intelligence, Hum0 Saves Boost
Epic Destiny (Divine Crusader):
- Unearthly Reactions 1,2, Intelligence
- School Specialist: Necromancy 1,2,3, Intelligence
- Sigil of Energy 1,2, Piercing Spellcraft 1,2,3, Intelligence
- Arcane Adept, Intelligence
Twists of Fate:
- Energy Burst: Acid (Tier 4 Draconic)
- Endless Faith (Tier 1 Exalted)
This build focuses on new players, so I do not recommend varying from this build, but if you do, I listed suggestions below.
Abilities: No variance should apply here, unless the race creates a limit. If so, choose a different race.
Skills: Non-human builds should sacrifice Spellcraft to keep trapping skills maxed.
Feats: Non-human builds should skip the (Human Feat) Toughness at level one.
Spells: The spell list for non-humans should not vary from that of humans.
Enhancements: Non-humans will not have access to the Human Enhancement Tree, and my spend the points in their own racial tree if they choose, or may invest more in Archmage or Pale Master. Player’s Choice.
No variance here. Non-humans may use the same destinies as Humans.
Tactics: For early levels, use Chill Touch SLA (Spell Like Ability) with Maximize and Empower both turned on. These enhancements are free for SLA’s, so they will not increase the Spell Point Cost to use.
You’ll want to take your second Rogue level at 9th so as to get Firewall asap. Once you have two levels of Rogue, you don’t (shouldn’t) take any further levels in the class. You’ll go Wizard all the way from that point.
For later levels, you’ll use Web/Firewall combo for mobs, and Finger of Death (FoD) for stragglers. For bosses, you’ll want many a choice for Damage Over Time spells (DOTs) so you can reserve spell points.
Summary: This build works well for new players, however the play style isn’t. I may recommend this build if you’ve played another class before, or you want to make an alt to mess around with while your main isn’t leveling.
Best choice is maybe a second or third life character, but a first life will work just fine.